May 25, 2012

Thankful...

As I sat at home alone last night... in the quiet... no TV, no Rhapsody, no noise but the occasional barking of our little white fluff balls when they heard something of interest and would run to the front window.  You see, Easton was at a sleepover... Steve, Bailey & Spencer were travelling toward Cedar Point way with the NW choir gang... Morgan was visiting a few more friends and spending the night with another one... so there I was, enjoying a night to myself.

As I went to bed and spent quite some time talking with God, I had to confess that too often my prayers are filled with requests... over and over and over.  I was convicted that the things that weight my mind and heart down each day come spilling out to Him, yet the praises and joys of all He's done and is doing seem to be blocked by my seemingly selfish wants and needs and desires.  So I decided to take some time to really think about all that He has done and is doing in my life and our family's lives and thought I'd share them with you... He deserves so much more praise than I give Him!

My "Thankful for..." list:

...the sunshine!  Beautiful days have been quite frequent here in Indiana.

...good health!  It's so easy to take this for granted, but after 7 years of chronic health issues, I want to thank Him again for healing me and giving me good health!

...an amazingly generous, caring, giving husband!  Steve is the "giver" of all givers.  He is always the first to serve and so often we take him for granted.  Thanks, Steve!

...four beautiful kids who love Jesus!  They are all growing up so much and as I was chatting with a friend at work today I had to remind myself of how fortunate we have been that all four of our kids have chosen to love and follow Jesus... and have been good kids in so many ways!

...unexpected gifts from supporters and a church this month in our ReachGlobal account!  God continues to surprise us with bringing people into our ministry partner team by His own doing and for His glory!

...a clean house!  We had another house showing last night so we had the great opportunity to clean our house again to "visiting" standards.  Oh, how I love walking into a clean house... and oh, how infrequent that is with a busy family these days.

...a great discounted flight deal from Atlanta to Chicago Midway!  We heard from a friend that he found a great flight deal from Atlanta to here so we decided to check it out to surprise Morgan... and, God provided an awesome deal so we flew Morgan home on Tuesday for one week.  Such great timing for her to visit with friends who just returned home from college, visit friends and family who are graduating from high school this year, and catch up with family.  She's keeping a full schedule, which is quite nice for her since she spends most of her time in Atlanta alone.

...a job for Morgan - beginning the first week of June!  After living in Atlanta since mid-February, Morgan has finally found a nanny job.  She is still searching for another part-time job to fill in the gaps, but is so thankful that God provided a job JUST when she needed the money.  God has been SO GOOD to provide for all her needs and teach her so much during these past few months.

...the Wa-Nee School System!  It seems nearly impossible that we've lived in Indiana now almost 15 years and have watched all of our kids file through Wakarusa Elementary and NorthWood Middle Schools now.  Easton is now a freshman, Spencer is a junior and Bailey is now a senior at NorthWood High School.  We have so enjoyed the teachers and administration that have loved our kids, taught them, cared for them, supported them, disciplined them, and even prayed for them!  Thanks!!!  Here is a picture of Easton as he headed to 8th grade awards night this past Tuesday -


...traveling safety!  We have traveled back and forth to Iowa, Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky and Illinois in the past three months in a van with over 250,000 miles and many "issues".  God has graciously protected us and kept our van going time and time again, and we are so grateful!

...an awesome church - Nappanee Missionary Church!  We can always count on God speaking to us through Dave's messages and are always lifted up and encouraged in worship through the Connection Band.  We are also SO grateful for the many staff and volunteers who have cared for, loved and supported our kids in the middle school and high school programs.

...family!  God continues to bless us with two awesome families - the Kirkdorffer clan here in Indiana and the Dahlgren clan in California.  They encourage us, love us and are there for us.  And, Grandma Kirk is an awesome cook!  :)

...MapleTronics Computers!  Wes & Janelle and the MTC family continues to be an encouragement and support through these many months of unknowns and transitions and we are so grateful for everything.

...our home!  Many days I wonder why someone hasn't snatched it up yet, but all in all I am so thankful that God provided us the privilege of raising our kids here.  What a blessing that we didn't and don't deserve.

...partners in ministry!  We are blown away by those who have chosen to do ministry with us in Lyon!  You humble us, encourage us, and give us strength through this process.  Thank YOU!

...God's love, grace, forgiveness, and provision!  Why He would care about such a little speck on this earth is so beyond me, but He does!  Simply amazing!!!  Beyond loving me and dying for me, He also cares about my hurts, fears, frustrations, ignorance, and selfish requests... He listens!  He loves!  He answers!  Wow!!!

I realize there are so many more things to list, but since I can't just list them without my lengthy explanations, I think I'll pick up again some other day with more things I'm thankful for!


And do you see how thankful we must be?
Not only thankful, but brimming with worship, deeply reverent before God.
~Hebrews 12:28


Oh, I have two more...

...freedom!  Have an awesome Memorial Day weekend - remembering those who gave their lives for our freedom!

...thanks for reading to the end! :)

2 comments:

  1. and we're thankful for your family, and your enthusiastic obedience to share the gospel with the people of lyon. you are precious to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nic! God bless you as your family walk a similar path to Africa!

      Delete